Thursday, March 28, 2013

You Should Smile More *rant*

I get this all the time from strangers on OkCupid, Chatango, even Tumblr and I hate it. It's the most irritating thing in the world. Why? Why should I smile more? What difference does it make to you if I do or don't?

I don't like my smile, never have. Maybe I never will. I think it looks weird, and I think my face looks weird when I smile. Plus, I don't have good teeth, which I'm trying to work on.
Maybe I like how I look better when I'm not smiling. Which is big for me because I don't like how I look at all, honestly. It's taken me years to get my self esteem where it is now, y'know?

Honestly, sometimes I feel like Kristen Stewart with all this 'smile more' bullshit because she gets scrutinized for her facial expressions. (I like Kristen Stewart, btw. I like her acting, and who she is as a person.)

Here, let me quote her:
"Some people get the wrong idea, you know. If you’re quiet and you’re just not the most gregarious person, that you’re like.. I don’t know, self-involved, rude possibly, frigid. I get that a lot from people who don’t know me, like online all you guys think I never smile, ever. It’s not true. I do smile sometimes.”
 ”I think it’s ridiculous that you need to look a certain way to be conventionally pretty.”
 And it's not like I don't smile, because I do, I just don't take pictures of it, because I don't like my smile. I know some people are just being nice or trying to make me happier or something, but please, just stop. I'm only going to be hesitant more about smiling if you put pressure on me to do it, or are pushy about it. I'd rather smile and have it be genuine, than smile because it's what people want me to do, or I feel like I have to.


Here, if you want a fucking smile so badly, here's my ID from the 7th grade where I 'had' to smile for the picture. This is the awkward result:



No comments:

Post a Comment